Wednesday 1 June 2011

PS I Love You @ The Lexington, 05/05/2011

There's a shamefully small crowd for PS I Love You at the Lexington, their first London gig. That day their gig had been listed as having tickets available, which for a new band isn't all that uncommon but their music is deserving of so much more. Before the gig Paul Saulnier wanders around the upstairs part of the Lexington and is either ignored or is unable to coax people out of their auras to say hello.

It was my first gig at the Lexington and I liked it, a great selection of beers and a nice cosy feel to it, it would have been good to see if with people flying off the walls as the distorted guitars of PILY so deserve.

The band walk onto stage unassumingly and rip into one song after the other creating an unholy racket. They talk little and let the music speak for them. There's something odd looking about the band, frontman Paul Saulnier is a large long haired bearded bespectacled force on his guitar which is plugged into an intriguing piece of hardware I later learn to be a Moog Taurus which allows him to play loops adding layers to his playing whilst live. Drummer Benjamin Nelson on the other hand is a slight skinny man who hits the drums with controlled rage.

The set takes in most of their debut album as well as a couple of new tracks. Its all done and dusted within 40 or so minutes and that's it. I can only imagine what might have been with better promotion, but at least I got an initial taste that will lead, I hope to a fair few more PS viewings.

No comments:

Post a Comment